“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” Greg Anderson
Easter is upon us, and the topic of taking a journey to a planned destination, to the unknown, or to our heart’s center is apropos. Everything we do in life includes a journey of sorts. Some we take knowingly, others we fall into or find ourselves being led to… The journey of life is part plan and part mystery. All the sages advice us to enjoy the process and for this Photo Challenge, I’ve added photographs I took of planes, trains, automobiles, a couple of boat rides, on foot, and more, on a journey to somewhere… Above are photos from trips to Portland, Oregon, Cambridge, England, and Dusseldorf, Germany. Have a wonderful Easter weekend! More and even much more below!
“The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination.” Don Williams, Jr.
I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could find a wide range of photos that fit the Journey Challenge. Since I like taking random shots of settings and scenery I find interesting, I knew I’d find some appropriate ones that feature the usual suspects; trains, planes and whatnot. I was glad to find the bicycle shot I took a few years ago in Kyoto, Japan. The first photo is of either the Kyoto or Tokyo train station and the second is the famous bullet train; a magnificent and elegant speeding machine.
“Success is not a place at which one arrives but rather the spirit with which one undertakes and continues the journey.” Alex Noble
These are New York shots… The first was taken on a cold snowy day. I didn’t want to stand on the freezing cold platform, so I watched the action from the overpass and then rushed down to catch the train. The skateboarder was on a Manhattan street reading his text messages as he skated by. I love that one as it is a completely different mode of transportation from everything I show here…
“It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.” Ursula K. LeGuin
I was walking by that docking area with some friends, in France, and we were marveling at the colorful, narrow boats there. My photo doesn’t quite capture the vibrancy of the colors… they were very attractive. What I like about the second shot is that I took it from inside a plane. We had just landed and I believe that Air Tahiti Nui flight was departing… Isn’t that what the journey of life is all about? Arrivals and Departures.
“Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the will-whatever we may think.” Lawrence Durrell
I love airports and one of my favorite things to do is watch planes land and take off; a precise science that varies from model to model. Every plane lands somewhat differently depending on weather conditions/patterns and pilot skill. However, I’ve observed some common habits that seem connected with their size. The small planes drop down like sprites, the mid range ones sprint/dash forward like an impatient child, and the huge carriers glide in and touch down so elegantly, it can take your breath away. I believe I took these photos at a JFK International departures lounge.
“You are not the child of the people you call mother and father, but their fellow-adventurer on a bright journey to understand the things that are.” Richard Bach
Naturally, as a New Yorker, we can’t have a photo challenge on Journey that would ignore the NYC Subway system. This is the famous Canal Street station and it can get crowded there during certain times of the day. I took that on a weekend visit to Chinatown. Last but not least is the shot of a tollbooth separating New Jersey from Manhattan. We were returning from an Oprah event and that partial Manhattan skyline welcomed us back… The journey of Life is about arrivals and departures. We win many and we lose some. Have a Blessed Easter Weekend!
Hope you enjoyed this! What are your thoughts? What photos depicting Journey did you find? Was it easy/hard to find photos that made sense of your views on the subject of Journey? Were you drawn to certain types of photos for the prompt? Do share? Thank you!
My fellow bloggers were equally creative with their selections. I listed several via Zemanta below. I appreciate TRACKBACKS/PINGBACKS & LIKES from fellow bloggers too! Check out how others interpreted the theme JOURNEY below. ***
*Please bear with me as I continue to catch up on your blogs and commenting… Thank you all for your patience!
This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey. This train station means the beginning or the end of a journey for many people; for others it’s a daily stop as they commute or one link in the chain of a series of destinations. Share a picture that means Journey to you!
Positive Motivation Tip: When we start our journey of 1000 miles or more, we never fully know where life would lead us… Enjoy the journey and let the rest unfold. Have a Happy Easter!
PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my personal collection.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (thetaskmistress.me)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (sonelscorner.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (rutheh.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (taochildseyes.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (passion2read.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (andreadreamin.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Love’s Journey Home (seraphim6.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (skedazzles.com)
- Finding Joy In The Journey (nrhatch.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge : Journey (mystiic.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (scrapydo.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (mikehardisty.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge : Journey (artisanx2.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge : Journey (2011onthebench.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (flickrcomments.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (mothergrogan.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (thesacredcave.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (theurgetowander.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge : Journey (elspethc.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (brittenasplund.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey (joycannis.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey… (eof737.wordpress.com)