“Each flower is a soul blossoming out to nature.” Gerard De
Full botanical name is: Pachystachys lutea – Lollypop Plant. Family: ACANTHACEAE. Range: Peru
I love flowers in all shapes and forms and could spend hours in a garden enjoying the blooms. At different points in my life, I have been an avid gardener and then a reluctant one. When I moved to the suburbs, just before my twins were born, I was excited about planting all the wonderfully colorful blooms of my childhood; roses, lilies, hibiscus and other fantastic flowers. My mom was a master gardener and I always imagined taking up the gauntlet and running wild in a fantasy English garden … I loved the idea, but the wildlife in my new terrain had other plans.
“How does the Meadow flower its bloom unfold? Because the lovely little flower is free down to its root, and in that freedom bold.” William Wordsworth
My first gardening year, I planted every imaginable perennial and close to a thousand tulip bulbs… Yes, I wanted Holland in my garden. Alas, the deer sent word to their community and my yard became Fiesta Central. We tried everything… natural, and then, gradually, we gave in to their dogged determination as they decimated my garden and ate everything in their way… I shed a few tears and, ignoring our gardener’s suggestion that we plant only grass, I added some flowers they don’t care to eat. The deer still come round frequently to lounge around my yard; they bring their young as if to say, “See, your garden has fed them some too.” I’m glad…
“Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower.” John Harrigan
These days, I still do some gardening and have some perennials left. My tulips are gone and the Asian lilies are random. I add a few plantings in containers and marvel when my bleeding hearts spread… I still love gardening and I don’t hate the deer… For this photo challenge, I looked through my folders for blooms I haven’t already shared in other posts I’ve written, like here, here, here and here, on my blooms and visits to blooming botanical gardens. I hope you enjoy the colors and the flowers. I sometimes think how tragic it would be to live in a world without flowers or colors… How grim. More below.
“How does a pansy, for example, select the ingredients from soil to get the right colors for the flower? Now there’s a great miracle. I think there’s a supreme power behind all of this. I see it in nature.” Clyde Tombaugh
If you’ve ever seen a bloom that made your heart leap, do share. My bleeding heart plant is one that made me stop and kiss the air gratefully. What can I say, I’m a floral romantic at heart. I love the feel of flora and I’ll gladly stick some wildflowers in an old bottle just to enjoy their blooms for a few hours before they keel over and wilt… What about you?
“I decided that if I could paint that flower in a huge scale, you could not ignore its beauty.” Georgia O’Keeffe
I love Georgia O’Keeffe’s beautiful artwork with flowers… A couple of years ago, when I visited the museum named in her honor in Santa Fe, New Mexico, I had a wonderful time admiring her drawings and buying postcards and mini-booklets filled with her renditions of irises and other flowers… what a gem. I hope you enjoyed your walk with me through my visual garden of blooms. Do come back soon. Thank you!
What are your thoughts? What fabulous flowers did you find? Did you enjoy the search for colorful blooms? Do share? Thank you!
This post was inspired by a prompt from WP Daily Post: Weekly Photo Challenge – Flowers…
Positive Motivation Tip: Flowers add color and cheer to our lives; treat yourself and your loved ones to some blooms.
- Weekly Photo Challenge | Flowers (pradaforbreakfast.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: flowers (consumerjournaldotnet.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: flowers (insidejourneys.com)
- Sunday Sunflowers (bogsofohio.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: flowers (flickrcomments.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: flowers (walterwsmith.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: flowers (thelaughinghousewife.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: flowers (postadaychallenge2011.com)
- weekly photo challenge: flowers (thepetalpusher.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: flowers (giulas41.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: flowers (ceceliafutch.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: flowers (romceg.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: flowers (misswhiplash.wordpress.com)
- Purple Flower and Fruit in Our Garden (cocomino.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: The Humble Strawberry Flowers (pigletinportugal.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: flowers (redneckprincess.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: flowers (maggiephotgraphy.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Flowers (randomlyabstract.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Flowers (greenskyoutside.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Flowers (madonnamemoirs.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Flowers (snapsbytwinkle.wordpress.com)
- Weekly photo challenge: flowers (3rdculturechildren.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Flowers (thirdhandart.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge FLOWERS (misswhiplash.wordpress.com)
- Yellow Flowers (staceyarcher.wordpress.com)
PHOTO CREDITS/ATTRIBUTIONS: All Photos from my personal collection.